I’ve been hard at work getting the new Rampage up and running. Mostly limiting myself on funds, it’d be easy to dump way too much money into this thing. I’d still like to be able to sell this to a happy new owner after I’ve made it properly roadworthy and nice again. Can’t really do that if I’ve got twice the value of it in the restoration. ;)
Let’s start with a scary freaking picture. This is the interior AFTER I’d spent an hour or two cleaning it up. 5 years with 2 missing windows and some dogs that thought this was a playtoy inside. I guess it’s lucky they only destroyed the seats.
I snagged these nice seats out of an Omni at the Junkyard, little bit dirty, but the fabric is nearly flawless. And Omni seats are a direct swap for Rampage seats (both are L bodies).
Scoured the internet for a few days and found myself a driver’s window, and a passenger tail light. The tail light and it’s housing were smashed. The driver’s window had long since been broken.
There’s the new driver’s window installed. Back story on the window, I found a guy on eBay selling Rampage doors, with glass, but he didn’t want to ship them. I asked him to pull the glass out and sell/ship that to me. So he did. Cost way less than an auto glass shop would have charged me, so I was happy with the deal.
I don’t trust mechanical fuel pumps, so I installed this electric pump back near the tank. It turns out it’s loud as heck, sounds like a woodpecker trying to get in through the floor. But it was cheap. The truck now has 4 fuel filters: the sock in the tank, one screwed into the inlet on the pump, the standard one in the engine bay, and it turns out the carb has one in it’s inlet line as well. heh
While I had the seats out, I found this. 1993.. USWest has changed it’s name 3 times since then. (They have horrible customer service, I guess changing their name is easier than being a good company)
First lap around the block, and I went ahead and shot a victory picture. I had temporarily put the new seat in on the driver’s side while I test drove it, I still needed to clean up under the carpet.
What the heck happened to this carpet. It’s like they had left over 70’s green carpet at the factory, and you couldn’t sell that crap in the 80’s, so they dyed it brown. Well the dye faded over the years.. This picture was taken after taking the garden hose to it for 10 minutes, until muddy water stopped coming out of the carpet.
What I didn’t take a picture of was all the rust on the floor after removing the carpet. Somehow I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I was heartbroken. Water must have pooled under the carpet in the sound deadening pads and eaten the floors from the inside out. Holes everywhere, very thin/weak floorboards. I cleaned it up the best I could and put some POR15 over it. I’ll have to go back and fiberglass over what’s left later on, to make the truck watertight again.
I painted over the green patches with some spray paint. I didn’t have enough paint. This will do for now. When I go back with the fiberglass, I’ll man up and order some new carpet. That’ll be another $150 into this project that I won’t get any credit for when I sell it.
My daughter loves helping out with my cars when she can. Well today she certainly could. 5 years of desert dust all over the interior, she was very eager to go at it with a rag and soapy water.
Her hard work paid off. I hadn’t put the center console back in yet at this point, but you get the idea. :)
My daughter enjoying the truck after we were done. We took it for a cruise around the neighborhood at this point. Probably put 5 miles on it. Rear shocks are shot so it’s a very funky ride, carburetor runs like crap when it’s cold, but runs fairly well once it’s warmed up.
I still need a back window.